Our friend Tracy, who is part of our small group at church, submitted this category of “Top 42” lists. I enjoy asking what I call “random questions.” They are typically questions meant for getting to know someone a little better. I enjoy asking these questions to the person I know the best (my wife Annie) or a stranger. I don’t usually keep a mental file of these questions; so, typing them out was a greater challenge that I thought. If you want to look for ways to start up a conversation and build a relationship, use any of these questions. Here goes! They are in no particular order, and I believe I have asked these questions to someone or will now.
1. If I gave you an empty check, and told you that you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
2. If you had to choose an actual movie title that best describes your life, what title would you choose?
3. If reincarnation is true (and it isn’t), what animal do you think you could have been reincarnated from and why?
4. If you could only eat one style (or genre) of food the rest of your life (e.g., Italian, Korean, Mexican), what would it be?
5. If you could have dinner with anyone in history past, who would it be?
6. What 10-minute discussion (what would you talk about) would you like to have with the President of the U.S.A.?
7. Is there a Christmas present you received that is most memorable to you?
8. What attribute of your best friend do you most want to emulate?
9. If you could change one feature about your physical appearance, what would it be?
10. What was the most unlikely job that to you expressed as a child that you wanted to have “when you grew up?”
11. What do you wish more people understood about you?
12. If you could attend any concert of a musician or band (living or dead), who would it be?
13. If you could have a superpower, what would that be?
14. Is there a moment in your life you wish you could “live over”?
15. Have you ever had a dream (during sleep) that actually came true)?
16. What would you do for the next 24 hours if you knew you had 1 day to live?
17. What do you hope people say about you at your funeral?
18. What is your biggest pet peeve? (or one of the biggest)
19. What store are you most likely to spend too much money at?
20. What is the biggest sacrifice you have ever made for someone else?
21. If you could memorize 1 book, what would that book be?
22. What person do you give the most credit for in helping shape who you are today?
23. When was the last time you cried and why?
24. What job did you hold in your past that you were the most unqualified for?
25. What one talent do you think you will never have time to develop but would like to have?
26. If someone could only use 1 word to describe you, what word do you think you hear the most often?
27. What is guaranteed to get a smile on your face or make you laugh?
28. What book has been the most formative?
29. What do you wish you had a collection of?
30. If you won the $100 million dollars in a lottery, what would you use it for?
31. If you could move your job, your home, your church, your friends, and your whole life to anywhere in the world and just simply live in a different place, where would that be?
32. Would you rather go to the moon or the deepest part of the ocean?
33. What do you believe will happen to you the moment that you die?
34. If you could ask God any question, what would you ask Him?
35. Have you ever had a time when you had to face a genuine fear? What happened?
36. If you went to a deserted island the rest of your life and could take 5 items, what would those items be?
37. If you had to live in a different era than this one, which one would you choose?
38. What is your favorite thing to do when you have free time?
39. What is your most annoying habit?
40. If you could be a specific age the rest of your life, what age would that be?
41. What is the biggest difference your life now when you compare it to your life 10 years ago?
42. What weakness in your life are you most burdened about?