The Monday feature of the Worldly Saints blog focuses on a story from the sports world – current or historic. The goal is one of the following: (1) either to recognize athletes who are using or have used their sports and athletic abilities to further the kingdom of God or (2) to show how some athletes or teams are wasting or did waste their days by not giving God the glory or (3) to simply reflect on a story from the sports world from a Christian perspective.
The Olympics are in “full swing.”
How fun it has been to watch athletes compete at the highest level. Like you, I have my favorites I root for – Usain Bolt, Alyson Felix, Kerri Walsh Jennings, Katie Ledecky, Michael Phelps, etc. I love the “back stories” to little known athletes and I always look forward to seeing countries when their 1st medal in certain sports.
Since this is a Christian-themed blog, I thought I would give you a list of 5 blog posts written about the Olympics from a Christian perspective. Much of what would have written is captured in a number of these blog posts, so I will re-direct you to their thoughts on this universal competition being held in Rio.
- “Religion and the Olympics – and the Olympics as Religion” by Christopher Gherz (The Gospel Coalition)
- “6 Christian Athletes to Watch at Rio 2016” by Bethany Jenkins (The Gospel Coalition)
- “Watch for God at the Olympic Games” by David Mathis (Desiring God)
- “The Rio Olympics and Calvin’s Mission” by Tim Challies
- “The Untold Story of Olympic Champion Eric Liddell” by Paul Putz (The Gospel Coalition)